Obtaining a higher qualification in economics is a career investment.

Analytical ability, critical thinking and logic are highly valued commodities, and our graduates have the ability to succeed in a dynamic and increasingly competitive environment. Whether you are wanting to complete a masters, diploma or graduate certificate, our range of programs can help you further develop your skills or specialise in an area of economics.


Master of Applied Econometrics (24 units)
Master of Applied Econometrics (32 units)
Master of Development Economics (24 units)
Master of Development Economics (32 units)
Master of Development Economics/Economics and Public Policy
Master of Economics (24 units)
Master of Economics (32 units)
Master of Economics and Public Policy (24 units)
Master of Economics and Public Policy (32 units)
Master of Health Economics (24 units)
Master of Health Economics (32 units)
Master of International Economics and Finance (24 units)
Master of International Economics and Finance (32 units)
Master of International Economics and Finance/Commerce

Graduate certificates

Graduate Certificate in Economics
Graduate Certificate in Economic Studies

Graduate diplomas

Graduate Diploma in Economics

Other useful information

Program plans
Drop in sessions
Application form for Non-Scheduled Elective (PDF, 118KB)
Tutoring opportunities


Undertaking a postgraduate program is an exciting time. Below is some information about some of the common questions postgraduate students have about their studies.

How to apply

I'm am a domestic student wishing to study a postgraduate by coursework masters program. How do I apply for entry into the program?

  • Visit Future Students.

  • Search for the program of study you wish to undertake and follow the links to 'How to apply'.

  • Fill out the form and upload documents where required.

  • Non-UQ students will need to upload a scanned copy of their official academic transcript (not AHEGS document) which includes ALL courses studies whether passed or failed, grade key, and evidence of award conferral where this is not indicated on their official transcript. As entry to the #24 (1.5 year full-time programs) from 2015 is dependent on discipline or discipline area courses completed, a full academic transcript for assessment is required.

  • Applicants who are born overseas will need to include a scanned copy of documentation supporting their Australian Citizenship or Australian Permanent Residency status.

  • Applicants who are conditional upon degree completion and achieving the required GPA will be provided with a document upload link to upload final transcript/award documentation. Where possible this will be verified through Qualsearch and an unconditional offer then finalized if entry requirements are met.

  • Applicants who need to supply original certified documentation by mail will be advised when a conditional offer is made.

  • Australian applicants may still need to satisfy English proficiency requirements.

  • Submit application.

I work full-time but would like to undertake a masters degree through the School of Economics, will I be able to complete this at night and/or on weekends?

A few postgraduate courses may be offered outside of regular office hours, however, we cannot guarantee that you'd be able to complete your entire degree in this manner. There are also some courses that are available in intensive mode during the summer semester for which the timetable may suit part-time students.

I prefer to study externally as it is quite difficult for me to get to the university. Can I do this?

All ECON coded postgraduate courses are taught internally. The School of Economics does not offer postgraduate coursework courses via the internet or in an external mode. Your attendance is required at classes. Lectures may be held in a venue which will enable lecture recording. However if lectures are able to be recorded, this is an additional resource provided and is not a substitute for attendance at lectures.

What happens with my application?

Your application will be processed and assessed by the School of Economics postgraduate administrative officers.

If you're required to submit further documentation or further information is required to ascertain your suitability for admission, you will be contacted via email outlining the information or documentation that is required.

If I apply for a masters program and my GPA is not high enough, is there another option?

If you do not meet the GPA requirement for the program that you've applied for, you may be made an articulation offer to commence in alternative program to give you an opportunity to meet the required GPA. You'd need to attain the required GPA for the alternative program to be permitted to articulate/program change into the subsequent masters program. Rather than applying for a graduate certificate or graduate diploma program, ideally applicants should apply for the master program that they intend to complete so that an appropriate articulation offer can be made.

If you're are planning on articulating into a masters program, you should consult the administrative officer for the program you intend on transferring into so that you can plan your studies to maximise the amount of credit you can take into your new program. You'll be able to plan your studies to ensure that, where the program rules allow, all courses can be credited to your new program of study. It's imperative that you also satisfy the requirements of the degree you are enrolled in to ensure you could graduate with the certificate or diploma should you not satisfy the GPA requirement.

From 2015, the alternative entry point for the #32 master programs is the Graduate Certificate in Economic Studies or the Graduate Diploma in Economics. For the #24 master programs you may be eligible to enter via the Graduate Certificate in Economics.

I'm an international student wanting to study at The University of Queensland, how do I apply?

All international applications are submitted via the international office. The first step is to visit http://www.uq.edu.au/international/ where information is available for international students on a variety of subjects including submitting your application. On this page there are links about making the application, visas, due dates, English requirements etc. There are links to make enquiries online to expedite the process. 

What is the difference between the 18-month and two year masters?

From 2015, the difference between these two options is the entry requirement and the compulsory courses you need to complete.

The two year master programs are designed for those applicants who have not completed courses in Introductory Microeconomics, Introductory Macroeconomics, Mathematics and Statistics as part of their undergraduate degree. Therefore these courses are the first four you'll enrol in for your two year masters.

The 18-month master programs are designed for those applicants who have already completed Introductory Microeconomics, Introductory Macroeconomics, Mathematics and Statistics as part of their undergraduate degree. The 18-month program does not include introductory courses and starts at intermediate level microeconomics, macroeconomics and Introductory Econometrics.

Enrolment and subject selection

How will I know what to enrol in?

View program plans. This link will take you to the option/s for the postgraduate coursework programs on offer by the School of Economics. Choose the relevant commencement year, select the required program and start semester, then “Download program plan”. Students who commenced programs prior to 2013 should contact the school. You do have the option to submit a suggested program plan to the administrative officer who oversees your program of study and they'll advise you if this plan is appropriate and will meet the requirements of your program of study.

Please note: Due to changes in program entry requirements from 2015 onwards, special provision has been made for pre-2015 students to change programs in 2015 or later to another program in the pre-2015 program suite and complete under the pre-2015 program course requirements.

The program entry requirements and course requirements for students commencing programs in 2015 will not be the same as those for pre-2015 students. Students who commenced programs pre-2015 must complete the pre-2015 program course requirements. There may be exceptions to this requirement. If you have any queries about which program requirements you are completing, please contact the School of Economics on email: econ.pgrad@uq.edu.au and a postgraduate administrative officer will assist you.

The program information and course list on the UQ Courses and Programs website and via mySI-net will default to the “current year”. This information is updated in September each year with the following year information. Students may need to change the current year showing to the year the program was commenced, i.e. “Show information for” select relevant year, then press “change”.

Can someone help me put together a plan for the courses that I need to enrol in for each semester?

You can access our program plans or if you require further assistance you may wish to make an appointment with the administrative officer for your program and they can assist you to compile a program plan. There are two administrative officers who oversee the postgraduate coursework programs.

Julie Waldon
Phone: +617 3365 6684
Email: econ.pgrad@uq.edu.au

Rachel Panousis
Phone: +617 3365 6578
Email: econ.pgrad@uq.edu.au

Julie and Rachel can assist you to put your progression plan together to ensure you meet program requirements in order to be able to graduate. They are able to assist you with administrative procedures and forms but are not able to supply academic advice on course content etc.

Completion of the relevant program requirements, according to the year you commenced your program, is imperative. If you have any questions about what courses you need to enrol in to fulfil your program requirements for graduation please contact econ.pgrad@uq.edu.au

What is Orientation Week?

Orientation Week is the week prior to the commencement of classes for each semester. You can use the interactive planner to organise your attendance during Orientation Week. Please ensure that you read the activities closely as there are compulsory activities that you must attend. There is a welcome by the Head of School and an advisory session that covers a number of the things that you will need to know while studying as a postgraduate coursework student at The University of Queensland.

How do I find out about fees, and the cost of my study?

There is a fees calculator available on the university website. You'll also notice that on the UQ Programs and Courses website under each program there is an estimate of the cost of the study for the programs. Access more information on fees and the fee calculator. This information is updated regularly.

I have looked at the course profile and it sounds like a course I have done at another university. Do I have to do it again?

If you believe that a course you are required to complete, that is a compulsory course for your program, is very similar to a course you have previously completed you can apply for either exemption or credit so that you do not have to study this again.

What is the difference between credit and exemption?

If you have already completed undergraduate or postgraduate courses similar to those offered in the program, you may be eligible for exemption from these courses or credit for courses in your chosen program.

Credit - Students who have completed comparable postgraduate study may be eligible for credit. Credit is granted on the basis of previous postgraduate study that is deemed to be at least 70% equivalent to Economics postgraduate courses, subject to the program rules. When granted credit, students are required to complete fewer units towards the award of the degree. No credit is given for undergraduate study towards a postgraduate degree.

Exemption - An exemption is the waiving of compulsory components of a program. Students who have completed courses in undergraduate programs that are deemed to be at least 70% equivalent to Economics postgraduate courses may be granted exemptions towards the postgraduate degree. Students who have been granted an exemption from a course are required to substitute another course with the same unit value (from the Part B electives on their program course list) so that the total number of units for the program is completed.

How do I apply for either credit or exemptions?

Download the appropriate form. You must then attach to the form a detailed course outline (which includes a week-by-week list of topics; texts, assessment criteria, contact hours etc) from the institution that you completed the course. The appropriate year/semester outline that the course was completed is normally required – not the current year version. The application form and documentation can be submitted directly to either of the Postgraduate Coursework Administrative officers in the School of Economics.

Alternatively, the application form together with scanned documentation is able to be submitted by email to: econ.pgrad@uq.edu.au. Australian applicants are able to request credit and or exemption and upload scanned course outline documentation with their online application. This will then be assessed by the relevant course coordinator and you will be informed by the school of the decision.

Once you commence a program, a credit transfer can be completed if credit is approved. You'll receive an automatically generated email when the credit transfer is completed.

If an exemption is approved/granted, a text noting will be inserted on mySI-net which is viewable from your Studies Report. You will also be advised by email (student email), the outcome after the text noting has been inserted on mySI-net, or if the exemption is not approved.

Please ensure that you leave ample time to have the course assessed prior to the commencement of semester. If you do not do this it may interfere with your ability to meet program requirements and graduate by the expected date. It can also interfere with the progression of your program if the course is a pre-requisite to another course within your program. The application form indicates that this process may take 3-4 weeks. We would hope to finalise credit/exemption applications within 1-2 weeks, however finalisation will depend upon the time of year your application is submitted and the availability of the appropriate Academic Staff to assess course details. It is preferable for any credit/exemption issues to be finalised prior to commencing your studies.

I have seen a course at another university that I think would be interesting to study. Can I study this course?

Under special circumstances you can apply to study on a cross institutional basis at another university. However, you do need to have the course assessed to ensure that it is suitable and of the same standard as a masters course offered at UQ. It'd also need to be relevant to your program and not cause you to overload your studies. Permission would need to be given by the Head of School. To apply you would need to ensure that you meet the application requirements of the other institution as well. You would need to fill out the Application for Cross Insitutional Enrolment at Another UNiversity form (PDF, 288KB). The host University that you plan on applying at for cross-institutional study will also have an application form which usually requires approval from this university. Please complete both of these forms and bring them to the school for action by the school. Once a decision has been made, if approved, you'll then be required to submit the application form to the intended institution. Please note the submission date for a cross-institutional application for your host university and allow sufficient time for course assessment and approval of your request at UQ. A number of universities have early submission deadlines and will not accept late applications or application without UQ approval.

I have seen a course that I want to enrol in but it says that it has a pre-requisite, what does that mean?

A pre-requisite means another course that you should have completed prior to being able to enrol in the course. It'll contain information that you'll need to be able to successfully complete the course. It means that when you enrol in the course it'll be assumed that you possess the knowledge in the listed pre-requisite.

From 2015: Students approved to commence our #24 master degree programs will be deemed to have completed courses such as ECON7000, ECON7001, ECON7150 and ECON7300. These courses are not included in the #24 master degree course lists. Please consider whether your background knowledge is sufficiently current to commence the #24 program which will include intermediate level microeconomics and macroeconomics courses and econometrics. It may be the case that the #32 program is more suitable, particularly if you need to refresh your knowledge in any of the introductory courses.

I have looked at the elective list for my program but there is another course that I would like to study that isn’t on the list. Can I just enrol in the course as an elective?

It isn’t as simple as just enrolling in a course that isn't on the course list for your program. If you want the course to be credited to your program of study you would need to apply to study this course as a “non-scheduled elective”. You can request the application form from the relevant administrative o via email on econ.pgrad@uq.edu.au. The application will be emailed to you for completion and return. Please contact the administrative officer for your program to discuss the intended application. The course would need to be proven to be relevant to your program of study. Your application will be assessed by the postgraduate coursework coordinator and then by the Head of School.

I am interested in completing the thesis in my masters degree. What do I need to do?

Planning your program is essential if you are considering studying the thesis to ensure you can fit it into your program of study. Due to the scheduling of compulsory Part A courses it's imperative that you have the progression plan in place. It's the student’s responsibility to determine the research area that you're interested in pursuing. It's also the student's responsibility to liaise with and secure an advisor who is usually an academic staff member of the School of Economics. Learn more about economics staff research interests.

Please note: you cannot study ECON7950 Research Methods in Economics and the thesis at the same time. You must have completed ECON7950 (or ECON7920/1/2 (pre-2015)) and ECON7310 Elements of Econometrics or ECON7350 or ECON7360 prior to commencing the thesis.

Thesis (ECON7930, ECON7931, ECON7932)

This is an independent study to produce a 20,000 word document of a high academic standard through in-depth research. The course seeks to encourage critical thinking and informed judgement. The topic for the Thesis is required to be original which may make contribution to economic knowledge. The thesis would normally contain the use of empirical methods such as data analysis or econometrics. Students will need to confirm their topics and advisor details with the course coordinator for the ECON7930/1/2 thesis. Further details will be available in the course profile.

Summer Semester enrolment in the thesis courses

It may be possible to complete the thesis course over the Summer Semester if an academic staff member is available and agrees to be your advisor over this teaching period. As Summer Semester is a non-standard teaching period, not all academic staff members will be available.

If you're intending to enrol in Summer Semester, it's strongly recommended that you make arrangements with an advisor well before Summer Semester commences. Once it's confirmed by a postgraduate coursework administrative officer that the academic staff member has agreed to act as your advisor, you'll be placed on a permission list which will then allow you to enrol. Enrolment in Summer Semester for ECON7930 thesis is blocked until an advisor is found by you and agrees (by email) to act as your advisor.

Changing or withdrawing

I have accepted my offer to study, but something has come up and I need to start at a later date. Do I have to go through the application process from the beginning again?

If you've not commenced studies, this is called deferring your studies. Deferment refers to officially delaying the commencement of a tertiary program, usually for a period of up to one year.

If you're a domestic postgraduate coursework student and wish to defer commencement of your studies, you should contact the school’s administrative officer for your program for advice. If you defer your studies, you'll be liable for fees at the rate applicable when you actually commence the program.

If you're an international student and wish to defer the commencement of your studies, you should contact the admissions officer or your agent listed at the top of the letter of offer. Alternatively, email UQ International on applicationstatus@uq.edu.au.

Due to changes for 2015, if you did not commence your study in 2014 it may not be possible to commence one of the 2015 #24 master degree programs due to changes in the entry requirement. The advanced versions of all our master degree programs have been discontinued and no longer offered to commencing students. Students who have previously commenced a program prior to 2015 are able to progress through to the (advanced) programs if they wish. Enrolment conditions will apply if changing to one of the discontinued advanced programs.

If I start my program and then need to take a break what are my options?

If you commence your program and for some reason need to take a break for a while, you're able to do this. If you're completing a masters program, you have a total of seven years to complete the degree. Out of courtesy, we'd ask that you contact the administrative officer for your program informing them of your intentions. Depending upon the length of your interruption, your program may have been suspended and will need to be re-activated by the school to allow you to enrol. If you're enrolled in courses when you decide to take a break, please ensure you are aware of the financial and academic penalty dates, withdrawing from courses after these dates could mean you become liable for fees or academic penalties that could've been avoided. International students will then need to submit a formal application to interrupt their studies.

I have started my program but it isn’t what I was expecting. How do I change to another program?

If you want to change to another program you must make application to do so. Applications are not able to be processed until after results are released so that any credit applicable can be confirmed. Applications must be submitted, at the latest, by Friday prior of Orientation week for the relevant semester.

Domestic and international Students

An option to request a program change will become available on mySI-net following the release of grades. The Program Change Request facility becomes available once results are officially released for Semester 1 courses, and normally in January of the following year after the release of Semester 2 results. To find this you log into mySI-net and go to your “myRequests” tab where you can select the Program Change Request link. You complete the form as requested indicating the program that you wish to transfer to and whether you wish to receive credit for UQ courses previously completed. There is also a free text box to give further details that are relevant to your request if you wish to. Students changing programs in a suite, including students on articulation offers, should submit a program change request via mySI-net. The free text box should be used to indicate an articulation offer was in place.

International students

Follow the procedure mentioned above. Once the school has assessed your request it is sent to the International Office and they will then issue you with a new offer letter. After the offer is accepted and documentation returned to the International Admissions Section your new program will be activated and a new CoE issued. Please ensure that you follow the instructions on your new COE carefully as it contains important information in relation to credit received, expected completion date for your new program and DIBP contact information, etc.

Students who are sponsored or in receipt of a Scholarship will need the written approval of their Sponsor or Scholarship Provider before their program change can receive final approval.

I'd like to graduate but haven’t finished my program. Is this possible?

It is possible to graduate with a shorter program from a suite of programs if the requirements for the shorter program have been completed. A request in writing is required to be emailed to: econ.pgrad@uq.edu.au.

For students who commenced their studies prior to 2015 the early exit points from the postgraduate programs in Economics offered through the School are the following:

Entry Point or Exit Point (for pre-2015 students)






Graduate Certificate in Economics

Graduate Diploma in Economics

Master of Business Economics

Master of Business Economics (Advanced)

Graduate Certificate in Economics

Graduate Diploma in Economics

Master of Development Economics

Master of Development Economics (Advanced)

Graduate Certificate in Economics

Graduate Diploma in Economics

Master of Economics & Public Policy

Master of Economics & Public Policy (Advanced)

Graduate Certificate in Economics

Graduate Diploma in Economics

Master of International Economics & Finance

Master of International Economics & Finance (Advanced)

Graduate Certificate in Economics

Graduate Diploma in Economics


Master of Economics

Graduate Certificate in Economics

Graduate Diploma in Health Economics

Master of Health Economics

Master of Health Economics (Advanced)

From 2015: Alternate Entry and Exit points for #32 Master programs

Entry Bachelor degree in any field with applicable GPA




Graduate Certificate in Economic Studies

Graduate Diploma in Economics

Master of Business Economics (#32)

Graduate Certificate in Economic Studies

Graduate Diploma in Economics

Master of Development Economics (#32)

Graduate Certificate in Economic Studies

Graduate Diploma in Economics

Master of Economics (#32)

Graduate Certificate in Economic Studies

Graduate Diploma in Economics

Master of Economics & Public Policy (#32)

Graduate Certificate in Economic Studies

Graduate Diploma in Economics

Master of Health Economics (#32)

Graduate Certificate in Economic Studies

Graduate Diploma in Economics

Master of International Economics & Finance (#32)

From 2015: Alternate Entry and Exit Points #24 Master programs

Entry a Bachelor degree in an approved discipline (economics, commerce & business) http://bel.uq.edu.au/bel-aqf#Economics_same_disc. The exception is the MAppE’Met program.



Graduate Certificate in Economics

Master of Applied Econometrics (#24)

Graduate Certificate in Economics

Master of Business Economics (#24)

Graduate Certificate in Economics

Master of Development Economics (#24)

Graduate Certificate in Economics

Master of Economics (#24)

Graduate Certificate in Economics

Master of Economics & Public Policy (#24)

Graduate Certificate in Economics

Master of Health Economics (#24)

Graduate Certificate in Economics

Master of International Economics & Finance (#24)

After the completion of #16 of the #24 Master programs, with approval a student may Exit with the Graduate Diploma in Economics. A minimum of #8 from Part A is required plus #8 from either Parts A or B. An email request to exit with the applicable shorter award should be sent to: econ.pgrad@uq.edu.au.

What do I need to do to commence my studies following deferring or recommence my studies after interrupting?

Following deferment

Deferring refers to students who have not yet commenced studies but may have already accepted their offer – you defer the commencement of your program. A new version of the program you wish to commence will need to be activated for the correct year and starting semester. Students should contact the School of Economics and speak to the Postgraduate Administrative Officer responsible for their program to discuss the implications of deferring commencement. It would be possible for Australian applicants to submit another online application to commence in the appropriate year/semester. Please email econ.pgrad@uq.edu.au if you do not commence or drop all courses before Census date for your first semester. Your program can then be de-activated. International applicants should email UQ International at: applicationstatus@uq.edu.au or contact their agent.

Following interruption to studies

If you have commenced your studies and decide to take a break, this is called interrupting your studies. When you are ready to return to study you should contact the School of Economics to reactivate your program. You should be aware of the rules surrounding the time allowed to complete your program of study. You will need to discuss this with the administrative officer where there may be issues surrounding expiry of credit etc. If you have any queries regarding the completion of your program the Postgraduate Administrative Officer will be able to assist you. International students must submit an application to withdraw (to interrupt their studies) form available from the my.UQ Website.

How does withdrawing from a course affect my studies?

If you drop a course after either March 31 in Semester 1 or 31August in Semester 2, you will still be required to pay the fees assigned to those courses, A “W” will show on your studies report. If you drop a course later than that i.e. after April 30th in semester 1 or September 30th in semester 2, or after the Census date for a non-standard Teaching Period course, you will receive a “K” on your academic transcript and for the purposes of calculating your GPA for the semester, it will be counted as a 0 (zero). The impact on your GPA can be quite significant. Students completing non-standard teaching period courses, i.e. TP5 or TP1 need to refer to the appropriate dates specified.

What is census date? What does it mean?

Census date refers to the final date/s that you can drop courses before you incur financial penalties. Census date information is now included on your home page for each semester. There are two important dates in each semester that you should be aware of:

Semester 1
31 March: Last date to drop courses without financial penalty–there's no academic penalty.
30 April: Last date to drop courses without academic penalty–financial penalty remains.

Semester 2
31 August: Last date to drop courses without financial penalty–there's no academic penalty
30 September: Last day to drop courses without academic penalty–financial penalty remains.

Summer Semester (standard summer courses only)*
18 December: Last date to drop courses without financial penalty–there's no academic penalty.
26 December: Last date to drop courses without academic penalty–financial penalty remains.
*Alternate dates will apply for TP8 and TP1 courses.

Other teaching periods
There are courses that are taught outside of the usual teaching periods as they may be taught in intensive mode. Courses taught intensively in non-standard teaching periods have different enrolment, fee-payment and census dates.
Other teaching periods

What can I do if something happens after the withdrawal without academic penalty date and I need to withdraw from a course?

It is posible to withdraw without academic penalty after the cut off dates, however there are very clear conditions that'll determine whether your application will succeed including events such as serious health problems, serious personal trauma, etc. Each case is assessed on an individual basis and supporting documentation must be supplied.


I have enrolled in my courses, what does sign on mean?

Sign on is where you link from your homepage on mySI-net to choose the actual class times that you'll attend (for a tutorial or practical class and on the odd occasion a lecture). There may be a number of choices for each course, so you need to plan your timetable to ensure you have no clashes. Not all courses will have sign-on–especially where there is only one class (lecture) time available. This will be for the majority of ECON7xxx courses, but many courses have tutorial/practical class options.

When I look at the timetable from the link on mySI-net it says that I have a number of clashes, why's that?

The link from your homepage on mySI-net shows all class options for each course. These are going to clash but you do not need to attend all of the classes listed. Please refer to the course profile for the enrolment requirements for each course. In most cases you will need to enrol in one lecture and one tutorial/practical. However, the course profile will give you the exact attendance requirements. The majority of tutorial/practical classes will commence in week two–but please check as some may commence in week one.

Accessing timetable information – no sign in to mySI-net required

  • Plan your timetable .
  • Check the default semester and alter if necessary.
  • In the “Search by Course Code” box type ECON7, press search and a list of all applicable postgraduate level 7 economics courses will be generated.
  • Select all, or particular course(s) then click >> next step to generate timetable details.


I was not able to sit an exam as I was really sick, what can I do?

If you're sick on the day of an exam, you can apply for a deferred examination for the course that you missed the exam for. You can apply via mySI-net.

View the full policy on absences from mid-semester examinations

Grades have been released and it says I have failed a course, what can I do?

If you've failed a course that's compulsory for your program, you'll need to study this course again. If the course is a pre-requisite course (e.g. ECON7010/7110, ECON7020/7021 (in #24 programs), or ECON7000 or ECON7001 (in #32 programs) or perhaps FINM7401), where possible you should repeat the course in the following semester so you then have adequate knowledge to complete subsequent compulsory and elective courses. If the course you failed is an elective, you do not necessarily have to study that course again but you'll have to study another course in its place. All courses must be passed at a grade of 4 or higher. It is recommended that you contact the administrative officer for your program to discuss a revised course study plan to complete your program.

You can request to discuss your grade with the course coordinator. You should contact him/her and request an appointment and discuss how your final grade was determined.

The only exception to the rule is if the failed course is the last course that you require for degree completion. If you fail a single course (achieving a grade of 3) in your final semester of study you can apply to sit a supplementary assessment. That is, you may be permitted to submit one assessment piece which then determines your final grade. Your previous performance throughout the semester is disregarded and your final grade is dependent on the result achieved in the supplementary assessment. For the School of Economics the assessment is determined by a 100% examination. If you pass the supplementary assessment, the grade indicated will be indicated as 3S4. An application for supplementary assessment must be made within five days of the official release of results for the applicable semester. A request for supplementary assessment should be made on mySI-net via your “myRequests” tab and selecting supplementary assessment.

I have seen that I have failed a course but I think that I should have passed, is there anything that I can do?

If you believe that you had performed better in an assessment item than indicated on your mark, you can request an assessment remark. If possible you should first contact the course coordinator and discuss your reasons for believing that you should have received a higher mark than you did. The reason for seeking a remark must have academic content and the application should be made based upon reference to the marking criteria for the course.

If I need to sit a supplementary assessment or a deferred exam, will I still be able to graduate?

Information on this is available on the graduations website.

How do I obtain a degree completion letter?

While you may not be able to attend the current graduation ceremony, once the results for your deferred and/or supplementary examinations and/or incomplete result are officially finalised on mySI-net, you'll be able to request a letter that states you have met the requirements of your degree and will have your degree conferred at the next graduation ceremony. A degree completion letter can be requested in person from the student centre or by email to UQ Answers. It's advisable to email the School of Economics (email econ.pgrad@uq.edu.au) prior to attending the Student Centre so that the necessary processing can be completed by a postgraduate administrative officer. Students requiring a letter to be mailed to them should ensure that their mailing address on mySI-net is correct if they are submitting a request via UQ Answers.

Often students request a letter such as this for prospective employers where their employment may be dependent upon them completing their Masters’ degree.

How will I know if I am eligible to graduate?

Set your expected graduation semester to the correct semester on mySI-net. Each semester the postgraduate administrative officers will complete graduation checks for our postgraduate economics students. An additional Graduation tab will become visible for graduating students. Once your record has been processed/updated you should receive an automated email advising you to log onto mySI-net to complete your “Conditional Graduation Application”. An alert is also visible on mySI-net for when you next log in.


If you still have questions after reading through the FAQs, please email our program advisors.

Our program advisors can answer any queries about your postgraduate program in economics, including:

  • Entry requirements for postgraduate programs (including alternative entry requirements)
  • Online application system, documentation and queries
  • Exemptions or credit for previous study
  • Pre-requisite requirements for courses
  • Program study plans – course selection
  • Summer Semester courses and Non-Standard Teaching Period courses
  • Interruption of studies after commencing and re-activation after interruption
  • Exchange study semester overseas
  • Cross-institutional study
  • Program changes and articulation program changes
  • Enrolment problems – including error messages generated
  • Requests to enrol in #10 where previous semester GPA < 4.5
  • Progression planning after failing course(s)
  • Progression to a higher degree by research (PhD or MPhil) – entry requirements
  • Graduation checking
  • Discontinuing/withdrawing from your program – early exit graduation options
  • Timetable issues

General enquiries

Any enquiries that are not program specific can be emailed in the first instance to enquiries@uq.edu.au or to UQ Answers. The student centre staff are also able to assist with non-program specific enquiries.